Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chocolate Mousse


I have a cake in mind that I've been wanting to make.  It's a chocolate cake, with chocolate mousse filling, and a whipped cream frosting.  I can't wait to make it.  However, I was in search of a good recipe for chocolate mousse.  I didn't want the chocolate mousse to be heavy, gritty, or too creamy.  I wanted that light and airy feel that was still packed full of wonderful flavor.  I believe I have found that recipe!  This chocolate mousse will go perfect in my upcoming cake, and is also perfect and delicious for an after-dinner treat.  If I had to describe the flavor, I would say that's it's similar to chocolate ice cream.  I loved it and my husband definitely ate more than a "recommended serving" size...haha!   This one is going into my go-to recipe files!

Chocolate Mousse

6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons strong coffee
4 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup chilled heavy cream, plus more for serving

1. Melt the chocolate in a medium bowl set over a large saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring until smooth. Whisk the butter into the melted chocolate, 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir in the salt, vanilla, and coffee until completely incorporated. Whisk in the yolks, one at a time, making sure that each is fully incorporated before adding the next; set the mixture aside.  

2. Whisk the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl set over a saucepan of hot water until warm, 1 to 2 minutes; remove the bowl from the saucepan. Beat with an electric mixer set at medium speed until soft peaks form. Raise the mixer speed to high and slowly add the sugar; beat to soft peaks. Whisk a quarter of the beaten whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining whites.

3. Whip the heavy cream to soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mousse. Spoon portions of the mousse into individual serving dishes or use as filling for a cake. Cover and refrigerate to allow the flavors to blend, at least 2 hours.

Source:  Cooks Illustrated, The New Best Recipe cookbook



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...