Thursday, January 20, 2011

Southern Buttermilk Pie


I'm not sure how I've lived in the South all my life and haven't tried this pie sooner!  When I first heard the term "Buttermilk Pie" I thought this pie would be tangy and sour.  But to the contrary it's very buttery sweet!  I would put it in the same realm of a pecan pie in terms of sweetness and yummy!   Like the pecan pie, make sure to bake this pie long enough that it's not jiggly in the center.  That's my biggest problem with these types of pies, but if that obstacle is conquered, it's on!   This is a very easy pie to put together and is sure to be a crowd pleaser.

I recently saw a Buttermilk Pie featured on FoodNetwork that included lemon juice and lime zest.  I will definitely be including a squeeze of lemon the next time around on this pie to give it a little lemony sweet taste!  Can't wait! 

Buttermilk Pie

1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked
3/4 cup plus 1/8 cup of sugar (the original recipe made 2 pies and this is the calculation for 1 pie)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk

Squeeze of lemon juice - optional


Directions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  


In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour and salt. Add eggs, butter,buttermilk, and vanilla. Pour into unbaked pie crusts and bake for 1 hour (check them at 50 minutes- if they’re too jiggly put them back in for a few more minutes. They shouldn’t jiggle very much at all when they’re done). If the tops are getting too brown, cover loosely with foil for the remainder of baking time. Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.


Source:  Sing for Your Supper (I love this blog)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...